VARANASI Home

iron pillar


The Iron Pillar at Delhi is an intriguing piece of architecture well-known for its astonishing resistance to corrosion for over 1600 years. Located at the center of the Quwwat-ul-Islam mosque, the Iron Pillar is the solitary Hindu relic in the sprawling Qutb complex constructed by Qutb-ud-din Aybak after plundering the existing Hindu temples. The Brahmi inscriptions engraved in the pillar credits Gupta king Chandragupta II Vikramaditya (375 AD-414 AD) with the construction of the Iron Pillar.

The Iron Pillar, 7.5 meter tall and weighing approximately 6.5 tonnes, is made up of 98% wrought iron of pure quality. The Iron Pillar of Delhi is considered a tribute to Lord Vishnu, the patron deity of the Gupta kings and it is believed that once a figure of Garuda, the carrier-bird of Vishnu, crowned the capital of this slender pillar. The inscriptions mention that the pillar was originally located at a place called Vishnupadagiri and historians have identified this place as modern-day Udayagiri.